Kata Rocks
The Phuket News Novosti Phuket Khao Phuket

Login | Create Account | Search

Thai mall gunman shot dead after rampage: officials

Thai mall gunman shot dead after rampage: officials

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: The Thai soldier who killed 25 people and holed up in a mall overnight was shot dead Sunday morning (Feb 9), police said, ending a near-24-hour ordeal which has stunned the country.


Sunday 9 February 2020, 09:59AM

It was unclear how many people remained inside the Terminal 21 mall after police said they had “taken control” of the ground floor of the complex where a mass shooting took place. Photo: AFP / Lillian Suwanrumpha

It was unclear how many people remained inside the Terminal 21 mall after police said they had “taken control” of the ground floor of the complex where a mass shooting took place. Photo: AFP / Lillian Suwanrumpha

He was killed about 9am, chief of the Crime Suppression Division Jirabhob Bhuridej told AFP. The health minister and police chief confirmed the gunman’s death.

Volleys of gunfire rang out before dawn, hours after Thai security services stormed the ground floor of the Terminal 21 mall in Nakhon Ratchasima -- also known as Korat -- where the gunman held out, armed with assault weapons stolen from his barracks.

As police entered the mall, scores of stunned and terrified shoppers fled a bloody rampage that the gunman relayed via Facebook posts.

But it was unclear how many people remained inside the mall after police said they had "taken control" of the ground floor of the complex late Saturday. Reports in the Thai media estimate anywhere from 42 up to 60 people remained injured with gunshot wounds in the mall.

The latest casualty was a police officer who took part in a raid around 3 am (2000 GMT Saturday) to force the gunman out, said deputy prime minister Anutin Charnvirakul.

"He had been hit and unfortunately, he couldn’t make it," said Anutin, who is also Thailand’s health minister.

Shocked evacuees recounted how an ordinary Saturday shopping day at the busy mall descended into horror as the gunman entered.

"It was like a dream... I’m grateful I survived," Sottiyanee Unchalee, 48, told AFP, explaining she hid in the toilet of a gym inside the mall as she heard the gunfire.

"I’m so sorry for those who died... (and) the people still trapped inside."

Over 12 hours since the rampage began, authorities gave no fresh details on the movements of the attacker -- a junior army officer identified as Sergeant-Major Jakrapanth Thomma.

But speculation mounted that the gunmen may have retreated to a basement of the multi-level mall.

Automatic weapon fire rang out just before dawn as ambulances prepared to evacuate the wounded in an attack whose motives remain unclear.

So far, 31 people have been injured, with four seriously wounded, added Anutin.

Stolen weapons

As shoppers ran for the exits late Saturday, police urged evacuees to "raise their hands" and identify themselves on the ground floor over fears the gunmen could hide among the desperate crowds.


Earlier, Jakrapanth relayed his shooting spree through Facebook posts which charted the attack from the army barracks in the city to the mall, where an unknown number of shoppers remained trapped.

A volunteer rescue worker recounted a bloody scene of horror after his team carried four corpses to the hospital.

"I’ve never seen anything like this," Peerapong Chatadee told AFP.

"I just feel so sad. He is a soldier, he should not have fired at unarmed people."

The bloodshed began Saturday afternoon when Jakrapanth shot three people -- among them at least one soldier -- at a senior officer’s house and then at the nearby army barracks, before driving an army vehicle to the town centre.

There the gunman used weapons stolen from the military arsenal to unleash carnage in the town centre.

He "used a machine gun and shot innocent victims resulting in many injured and dead", said police spokesman Krissana Pattanacharoen.

Throughout the day, Jakrapanth posted images of himself and wrote several posts on his Facebook page as the attack unfolded.

In one Facebook video -- since deleted -- the assailant, wearing an army helmet, filmed from an open-top jeep, saying, "I’m tired... I can’t pull my finger anymore" as he made a trigger symbol with his hand.

There were also photos of a man in a ski mask holding up a pistol.

A Facebook spokesperson said: "We have removed the gunman’s accounts from our services and will work around the clock to remove any violating content related to this attack as soon as we become aware of it."

The city is home to one of the largest barracks in Thailand, a country where the military is enmeshed in politics and society.

The nation also has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, and several shootings at courthouses last year renewed concern about gun violence.



Comment on this story

* Please login to comment. If you do not have an account please register below by simply entering a username, password and email address. You can still leave your comment below at the same time.


Kurt | 09 February 2020 - 18:37:15

27 death, and at least 57 wounded after killing the army murderer.

Kurt | 09 February 2020 - 11:38:22

It did not only stunned Thailand. It did stunned the whole world. It is world news. With many questions Defence Minister-General Prawit has to answer.

Fascinated | 09 February 2020 - 10:05:34

I notice the Health Minister wasn't wearing a face mask when he was grandstanding in front of the Press giving his 'expert' security opinion.

Have a news tip-off? Click here


Phuket community
Lack of social distancing causing spread, says government

"...people have not complied with measures..." Duh, this is the result of growing up in a...(Read More)

Lack of social distancing causing spread, says government

There were at least 200 people crammed together at Phuket Immigration everyday last week. Surely the...(Read More)

Rawai Mayor asks Phuket Governor permission to close Nai Harn Beach

Beach closed but what about access to the get out in the ocean? On another note went for some shoppi...(Read More)

Lack of social distancing causing spread, says government

all these measures are too late, this government should have introduced these measures at least 6 we...(Read More)

All Phuket beaches closed

2 Week beach closure only? When Government orders beach closures among the many different time perio...(Read More)

Six more COVID-19 cases confirmed in Phuket, total hits 47

Authorities will not admit that the possible patients zero for these infections in Phuket are the 2 ...(Read More)

Russian arrested in Phuket for overstay, working as illegal taxi driver

There are russians in Chalong, Rawai who work. At home, do their work cyber wise. Their wives have c...(Read More)

Phuket Governor extends ‘voluntary street curfew’, warns of strict enforcement

Ok, pleasant to know that at 3 am the Corona Covid-19 virus starts to rest/sleep. ( until what time?...(Read More)

Thailand records another COVID-19 death, 109 new cases, 1,245 total

Nice photo of a health official. Not using his mask, no cloves. He can infect the people he suppose ...(Read More)

All Phuket beaches closed

Can truck loads of Myanmar workers carry on travelling around Phuket and continue working?...(Read More)